Saturday, December 17, 2005

Props

Yesterday my mentor and I were talking about the roles many of the things we cling to back home take in our lives and what it is like to live where these "things" don't exist or wouldn't matter if they did . Of course we miss them, but why?
It was a really interesting thing to realize how much we cling to our "props" and "titles" in our places. Stripping that away into the anonymity of a new culture gives you this wonderful opportunity to re-invent yourself, except...when you have so many props and titles it is hard to figure out what "yourself" is made up of. My props were my friends, my family, my work environment, and the subconscious comfortable bubble I lived in. Perhaps even the more material things like my car, and my house and my favorite shoes that are really out of style here. I am a daughter, sister, friend, I was a co-worker, and in each of those areas (whether it is meant to be) or not I have status, a title. What happens when you move to a new place and the props are gone, and your title means nothing to those you meet, or simply doesn't exist anymore? What then?
I am entering into a unique phase of time. I am almost halfway through my 2 year term. Many things have happened that I did not expect, and many things have not happened that I thought would.
In the midst of my questions and doubts, I love Micah 6:8: "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."
I suppose that a humble walk with the Lord shouldn't involve props and titles anyway. So now I just have to trust that He will replace those with Himself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home