Monday, March 27, 2006

Literary Nerds Unite

Reality is settling in again, but for 3 very cool days I was able to have some time away from Deutschland. My rabbit hole was a place where people smile at you for no reason at all, customer service isn't a wistful memory, I could understand every map and street sign and perhaps best of all got to see where some of my favorite authors lived, and where many classic books and movies were written and filmed.
Thursday I spent all day in Oxford and went to see Christ Church College where John Wesley attended, and much of the scenery and environment inspired Carroll's writings like Alice in Wonderland. Scenes from Harry Potter were filmed there too, which explains the random pic of a staircase seen below. It appears in the movie along with Christ Churches Great Hall which Hogwarts Great Hall is modeled after. I saw Magdalen College (pronounced Maudlin) where C.S. Lewis taught and lived, I think Oscar Wilde was educated there too, but I could be wrong..and where Shadowlands was filmed, and various points around the city like the Radcliffe Camera built by Christopher Wren. One of the high points was eating at the Eagle & Child where Tolkien, and Lewis and the other Inklings would meet on Tuesdays and discuss their work. (their fish and chips are GOOD!) I stayed in a really eclectic hostel and went to a really bad comedy show at the bar next door. You gotta take the good with the bad I guess.
Friday I was off again, back to London for the next two days. I wanted to see some of the places I missed when I was there in August. The National Gallery is amazing! The 1500-1600 section was my favorite: you can find works by DaVinci, Michelangelo, and Raphael there.
The National Portrait Gallery is interesting. Who knew a video of David Beckham sleeping, was art?
I had never been to a play or performance before (except for a few ballets on school field trips) so I really wanted to see a show while I was in London. The cheapest one I could find that still had seats was a matinee' of Stomp. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it! Good times.
It was hard to come back, it felt so good to be able to relax and cut-loose for a few days. But at the same time, K-town definitely feels like home, and getting home is always a good thing, except of course for the mound of dirty laundry that you get to do..what a reality check.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home